bsent context, the Canadian political right has cultivated a new stereotype for itself in the last two decades. Led astray in the wake of the Great Conservative Cataclysm (the deed of former Conservative Prime Minister, Brian Mulroney via Schreibergate), provocateur pundits like Ezra Levant have a new favourite tactic: to use character assassination and innuendo to shape political fortunes when the strength of goals and ideas can’t be found.
And in today’s Sun News’ “Straight Talk” column, a renewed drumbeat of criticism and dogma handed those of us who have a vein somewhere on our foreheads that thirsted to be-a-throbbin’. Brought to us by way of Twitter: @SunNewsNetwork writes “Trudeau opposes revoking the citizenship of Canadians suspected of being involved in terrorism,” inviting readers to Ezra’s article and another poll that the neocons can use to erode liberties a little further, no doubt.
Funny how the right never seems particularly interested in getting at the truths comprising an issue and instead revert to wordplay masquerading as an unbiased poll (we’re supposed to ignore the leading nature of the question — after all, you don’t want to support terrorism do you?) which then somehow gets quoted in Question Period, in campaign literature or one of those helpful automated phone calls made during dinner. The article itself turns out to be a tissue of quotes taken completely out of context; and you know there’s some constituency out there inhaling this stuff like a crack addict. But how bad can it possibly be? Surely there aren’t that many of ‘em out there… Oh yah, this is the group running the government right now.
Yes, there actually are enough people swallowing this stuff hook, line and sinker or people like Ezra wouldn’t have a job, and Harper wouldn’t be Prime Minister. But Trudeau didn’t say Communist China was his favourite foreign country — it was just China, and he spent a bit of time there earlier in his life. Yes, you can favour decriminalization of drugs without advocating everyone should get high more often! And taking quotes completely out of context and asking “Pardon?” as if it was Trudeau that didn’t make any sense instead of Ezra himself: this is just not supporting a political view centered on facts, reality or truth.
I don’t know how I will get through the next year if I have to watch the country come unravelled because Conservative politicians using vague ad hominem references, McCarthyist innuendo about views pursuing innocent political debate, or — I swear to God — one more tissue of lies published by Ezra Levant simply because he’s anxious to engage in another inflammatory, disingenuous diatribe on Liberal campaign issues (which aren’t published just yet).
Ezra, if the truth really will hurt the Liberals so much when they go public with their campaign, why are you slithering about the nether regions of what passes for Canada’s political theatre conjuring up demons? Why not cling to whatever integrity as a journalist you have left and simply await this field day of yours, smiling patiently? Reducing the political discourse to the degree you do really is bad for the country!
Support this author…
Maintaining a blog site like this takes a commitment of time to write and update material. Although I enjoy it, this commitment detracts from other activities I am involved with, through which I support myself. Your donations encourage me to stay on track, committed as a writer covering those topics which are of interest to you.
So please donate today so I can keep writing for you.
@AppRefactory on TwitterMy Tweets
Topics / TOC
- Books (2)
- Computer Software Fixes & Patches (Windows) (8)
- Computers and Internet (201)
- Entertainment (46)
- Etymology (2)
- Fitness (2)
- Games (3)
- Health and wellness (3)
- History (3)
- Law and Public Policy (25)
- News and politics (154)
- Organizations (5)
- Personal (29)
- Programming (and Scripting) (17)
- Reviews (1)
- Space Exploration (34)
- Theology / Religion (9)
- Travel (5)
- Triathlon (1)
- Uncategorized (18)
- cbcalerts: Suicide bomber kills at least 38 people at public park in #Lahore #Pakistan, police say. 27-Mar-16 08:45 am EDT
- cbcalerts: Belgian police face off against black-clad protesters staging march http://ift.tt/1MKxJnc pic.twitter.com/vF8aD90Scw 27-Mar-16 07:13 am EDT
- cbcalerts: #Belgian police move in as demonstrators dressed in black stage march at memorial to victims of #Brussels attacks: http://cbc.ca/1.3508661 27-Mar-16 07:05 am EDT
- cbcalerts: Dozens of #Brussels police in riot gear and crowd control vehicles move in surrounding suspected right-wing protesters dressed in black. 27-Mar-16 06:44 am EDT
- cbcalerts: #Brussels solidarity march is officially called off, hundreds of protesters in black stage rally. There's pushing, shoving, tense moments. 27-Mar-16 06:40 am EDT
- Exploring the Seven Principles of Sociocracy 3.0 27-Apr-17 10:14 am EDTPrinciples guide behaviour, and when made explicit can raise consciousness and help to evolve culture. The seven Sociocracy 3.0 principles support organizations that want to act in integrity with their environment, learn from experience, and generate a collaborative, adaptable and intelligent system to navigate complexity. By Ben Linders
- Article: Virtual Panel: Data Science, ML, DL, AI and the Enterprise Developer 27-Apr-17 10:08 am EDTInfoQ caught up with experts in the field, to demystify the different topics surrounding AI and how enterprise developers can leverage them today and thereby render their solutions more intelligently. By Rags Srinivas
- Microsoft Releases Feature Pack 1 for BizTalk Server 2016 26-Apr-17 03:15 pm EDTOn April 26th 2017, Microsoft released Feature Pack 1 for BizTalk Server 2016. This is the first time Microsoft has provided a Feature Pack for BizTalk Server and it provides customers with new capabilities in the areas of Deployment, Analytics and the BizTalk Runtime. By Kent Weare
- Visual Studio 2017 - Update 2 Preview 26-Apr-17 01:16 pm EDTMicrosoft has released a preview of the second major update planned for Visual Studio 2017. This update brings a new workload, TypeScript side-by-side support, and enhanced F# tooling. By Jeff Martin
- exploreplanets: #Easter Eggs in space! Image: Canadian Space Agency / NASA / @Cmdr_Hadfield aboard the @Space_Station in 2013 pic.twitter.com/IfsQn2JjJl 27-Mar-16 07:04 am EDT
- exploreplanets: Soyuz TMA-20M engine eye candy. Image: NASA/Aubrey Gemignani pic.twitter.com/Gcw38CnYoj 26-Mar-16 11:09 am EDT
- exploreplanets: The flames of Expedition 47. Image: NASA/Aubrey Gemignani pic.twitter.com/RgeGWT0EeP 26-Mar-16 06:58 am EDT
- exploreplanets: Matryoshka dolls depicting Expedition 46—these are pretty awesome. Image: NASA/Bill Ingalls pic.twitter.com/PJz5Uiyct3 25-Mar-16 02:01 pm EDT
- exploreplanets: Sagan Fellows announced: http://go.nasa.gov/1pMflpv pic.twitter.com/QHV1eH5dya 25-Mar-16 11:05 am EDT